Friday 23 September 2016

BWF: Interview #9:Chris Thompson

"You can have the best wrestlers in the world but add a bad or to use a better word inexperienced referee then it can really bring the match quality down"

Hello, my name is Lewis and welcome to the ninth BWF interview. This interview is the very first interview we have conducted with a professional wrestling referee! We had a great conversation with one of the best referees on the scene, Chris Thompson. Many wrestling officials fade away into the background without ever being noticed. However Chris is an exception. Every offical on the scene deserves a certain level of respect for their role but I believe that Chris is head and shoulders above many of the British ref's! Although Chris is undecided on his future, make sure to support him in whatever he does next!
  You can follow Chris on twitter @christhomp1986

Without further ado, let's get into this intriguing conversation!

BWF:
Hello Chris and thanks for your time! This is our first ever time talking to a referee! It takes a talented individual to officiate a match, what do you think it is that separates the good officials from the bad?
  
Chris Thompson:
That's a good question. I personally believe that it takes alot more than just buying or being given a ref shirt to call yourself a referee. There's a lot to learn and understand and it takes a lot of time, effort, research and learning to become a good referee. Its certinaly not as easy as it looks. You can have the best wrestlers in the world but add a bad or to use a better word inexperienced referee then it can really bring the match quality down.
A good referee understand his role and does the job he is required to do, a bad referee will try to get himself over and be the star of the match. A good referee should be heard but not always seen.

BWF:
Great response, you talked about needing experience. How often do you actually get to go out there and do what you love?

Chris Thompson:
Not as much as I want to but unfortunately I have a life away from refereeing and wrestling like most do in the British wrestling business. So often it is difficult to squeeze ref work in between my day to day life etc. I have been refereeing for near 13 years and when I started out at the tender age of 16 I had a lot more freedom to find ref work but with that said there wasn't the same amount of promotions around back then as there is now. I often wish that when I started out in british wrestling that wrestling was going through the same boom period it is now but overall I have done ok.

BWF:
Earlier on you spoke about how an inexperienced referee can ruin a match between two great wrestlers. Are there any two performers that you haven't worked with on the British scene that you would like to?

Chris Thompson:
Thats a tough one. Doug Williams was on my list for the longest time as I see him as a pioneer and leader in British pro wrestling due to his legacy and career but with him working for WCPW and a local promotion up here in Newcastle recently I have had that oppotunity and it was an honour. Thinking about it and thinking of the incredible talent I have had they oppotunity to work with over the years there are not many I haven't worked with but Zack Zabre Jnr and Tommy End are two that come to mind.

BWF:
Zack is definitely making a splash around the world. What would you say is your main goal that you still wish to achieve?

Chris Thompson:
In all honesty I dont have goals. I never had any goals when I started out. Obviously to make it to WWE as a referee would be the main goal I'd imagine for anybody whether it's a British wrestler or referee it's the ultimate goal but the reality is thats it's highly unlikely that WWE would sign a referee from the UK for various reasons and I'm okay with that. I have refereed all over the North East and Scotland and bits and pieces around the rest of the country. I got to referee on a NWA show in Florida a few years back as I pre arranged it with going on holiday to Orlando. I was invited back but never got the oppotunity sadly. I have worked with some of the countries best talent over the years as well as former and current WWE stars. If anything I have been considering quitting refereeing all together. I turn 30 in October and that sounds like a nice round number to call it quits but who knows. I will say that working for WCPW has been the icing on the cake. Its a fantastic company that has and is currently in my eyes dominating the British wrestling scene so if i was to walk away from refereeing I'd be doing so as a very happy man with no regrets just fantastic memories.    

BWF:
We have to say you'd definitely be missed by all. I've had the pleasure of watching you officiate over 30 matches and have never been disappointed. So if you decide to hang up the shirt, what would be next for yourself?

Chris Thompson:
Thanks for your kind words it really means a lot to me. I dont know to be honest, I'd still like to be a part of the wrestling scene in some form. Behind the scenes in some capacity. Theres no guarantee I will give up refereeing. It's been a big part of my life for so long, it's hard to walk away from. I have dates coming up. I'll see where my head is after that and go from there. British wrestling is on the up and up and is gaining a lot more attention and promotions such as WCPW and ICW among others across the country are exploding and creating massive waves and it's all very overwhelming for somebody like myself who never really envisioned it happening never mind being involved. Its a weird position to be in.

We really appreciate your time!  
We would love to have you on again in the future if you have the time!


Our video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zatCj0GVSW0
Follow us on twitter at @BritishWFinest
Follow myself on twitter @LewisKelly316 
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BritishWFinest/

Wrestling has grown so big... it's almost a culture. And it's a culture of all types of vibes, just like hip-hop has all kinds of vibes and rap has all kinds of vibes.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/j/jammasterj675726.html?src=t_wrestling
Wrestling has grown so big... it's almost a culture. And it's a culture of all types of vibes, just like hip-hop has all kinds of vibes and rap has all kinds of vibes.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/j/jammasterj675726.html?src=t_wrestling
Wrestling has grown so big... it's almost a culture. And it's a culture of all types of vibes, just like hip-hop has all kinds of vibes and rap has all kinds of vibes. Jam Master Jay
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wrestling_2.html
Wrestling has grown so big... it's almost a culture. And it's a culture of all types of vibes, just like hip-hop has all kinds of vibes and rap has all kinds of vibes. Jam Master Jay
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wrestling_2.html
Wrestling has grown so big... it's almost a culture. And it's a culture of all types of vibes, just like hip-hop has all kinds of vibes and rap has all kinds of vibes. Jam Master Jay
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wrestling_2.html
Wrestling has grown so big... it's almost a culture. And it's a culture of all types of vibes, just like hip-hop has all kinds of vibes and rap has all kinds of vibes. Jam Master Jay
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/wrestling_2.html

No comments:

Post a Comment